Residency Call Overview
Residents will only cover diagnostic call at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. The other hospitals in our system are fully staffed by attending radiologists. One resident taking solo call is in house per call shift with attending backup at home in each subspecialty area. All faculty have PACS access from home.
- No diagnostic call during first year (PGY-2). Second year residents (DR and IR) cover diagnostic call on holidays and holiday weekends.
- US technologists are on-site 24/7. CT and MRI are active 24/7.
- Swing shift (one week at a time): from Monday to Friday. Coverage of all exams performed from 5pm to 8pm. The resident reports to service at 12pm for that week.
- Nighfloat (2 week blocks): from Sunday through Thursday, from 8pm to 8am. Second years take more call and becomes less as you become more senior.
- Weekends: 2 residents take call each weekend. One resident covers Friday and Saturday night, from 8pm to 8am. The second resident covers Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 8pm. The Friday night call resident does not report to clinical service on Friday and comes in only for call duty. There is a $10 food stipend for each day of call (weekends only, not nightfloat).
For each IR rotation, each resident covers 5 weekdays (24 hours) and 1 one separate weekend. The diagnostic residents take buddy call with a fellow during their first rotation. IR residents take call during their internship year and then take solo call after that.